Seo Ju-Hyun, popularly known by the nickname Seohyun Joon, is a South Korean actress, singer, presenter, and songwriter. She is a member of the South Korean girl group Band Girls’ Generation and the leader of its subgroup TTS. She stated that she was influenced by the BoA, S.E.S, and Fin.K.L so she wanted to become a singer. she said
“I thought it was good to show and communicate emotions through songs”.
She debuted as the youngest member of the Girls’ generation, gaining immense popularity in 2009 with her hit single ‘Gee’. She starred in ‘Mamma Mia!’ and ‘Gone with the Wind’ (2015) and known for her dramatic performances. In addition to her singing career, she has worked on films such as ‘Despicable Me’ (Voice of Edith in the Korean version), ‘So I Married an Anti-Fan’ ‘My Brilliant Life’, and the television drama series ‘, ‘Ruby Ruby Love’, and ‘Warm and Cozy’.
Height of Seohyun
5’6″ (168 cm)
Early Life of Seohyun
Seohyun was born on June 28, 1991, in Seoul, South Korea, and she is the only child in the family. Her mother, Kim Young-al, was chairman of the piano school, and also taught Seohyun how to play the piano at a delicate age. She learned to play the conventional Korean drums and violin and also learned and skating horse riding as a kid. She is also a guitarist and pianist.
Although her parents did not encourage her to become a celebrity, she credits her parents’ upbringing, saying it helped her choose her career path. Seohyun attended Seoul Middle School and Daeyoung High School and later transferred to Jeonju Arts High School, graduating on February 9, 2010. She excelled in acting and also received the Achievement Award at the graduation ceremony.
She was a trainee at one of Korea’s largest entertainment company S.M. Entertainment and she remembers her training days very happily and heartily. From 2010-2011, she appeared on Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation’s television variety show ‘We Got Married’.
A subgroup of the Girls’ generation was formed in April 2012 and was renamed TaeTiSeo along with Seohyun and fellow members Tiffany and Taeyeon. They released three EP’s titled, Tinkle (2012), Holler (2014), and Dear Santa (2015). Their debut EP was a resounding success and became the 8th best-selling album of the year in South Korea.
In addition to giving his voice to the band, she also began to focus on songwriting, and she wrote songs for the Girls’ Generation album ‘I Got a Boy’ such as ‘Baby Maybe’ and ‘XYZ’. She credited as a solo songwriter for ‘Only You’ for the albums ‘Holler’ and ‘Dear Santa’.
Seohyun starred in a minor role in SBS’s television drama ‘Passionate Love’ in 2013, in which she played the role of Han Yoo-rim. Critics and audiences praised her for playing this role. In January 2014, she made a theatrical debut in ‘Moon Embracing the Sun’, in which she played the lead role of Yeon-woo and this has won nine nominations at the 2013 Music Awards.
Seohyun was praised for playing the role of Scarlett O’Hara in the Korean version of ‘Autantenemporte le vent’ a French musical based on the film ‘Gone with the Wind’. She worked in supporting and guest roles on television programs titled ‘The Producers’, ‘Warm and Cozy’, and ‘Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo’ from 2015 to 2016.
In 2017, she starred in the television show ‘Ruby Ruby Love’. This story is about a genius girl suffering from sociophobia and making mistakes on a magic ring that will help her become a successful jewelry designer. She released a solo album with her debut EP ‘Don’t Say No’ in January 2017, and the EP topped the South Korean Gaon Album Chart.
Recently, she started hosting the television reality show ‘What’s It Like Living Alone’ aired by OnStyle, and appeared in the lead role in the television drama ‘Bad Thief, Good Thief’.
List of Television Series of Seohyun
- 2008 – Unstoppable Marriage
- 2013 – Passionate Love
- 2015 – The Producers
- 2015 – Warm and Cozy
- 2016 – Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
- 2016 – Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-Joo
- 2017 – Bad Thief, Good Thief
- 2018 – Time
- 2020 – Hello
- 2020 – Private Lives
List of Films
- 2010 – Despicable Me – Edith (voice)
- 2012 – I AM. – SM Town Live World Tour in Madison Square Garden
- 2013 – Despicable Me 2 – Edith (voice)
- 2014 – My Brilliant Life
- 2015 – SMTown The Stage
- 2016 – So I Married An Anti-fan
List of Web Series
- 2017 – Ruby Ruby Love
List of Television Show
- 2010–11 – We Got Married: Season 2
- 2012–13 – Show! Music Core
- 2017 – Seohyun Home
List of Theater
- 2014 – Moon Embracing the Sun
- 2015 – Gone with the Wind
- 2016 – Mamma Mia!
- Trot Music of the Year at Mnet Asian Music Awards in 2009
- Hot Campus Goddess at Mnet 20’s Choice Awards in 2011
- Most Cute and Gorgeous Lady at Mnet Media Awards in 2011
- Best Song from a Drama at Seoul International Drama Awards in 2013
- Best New Actress at Korea Drama Awards in 2017
- Top Excellence Actress (Weekend Drama Category) at MBC Drama Awards in 2017
- Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Wednesday-Thursday Miniseries at MBC Drama Awards in 2018
- Recognition Award at South Korea Ministry of Culture in 2010
- Most Popular Couple at MBC Entertainment Awards in 2010
- The Lifetime Achievement Award at Dongguk University in 2014
- Special Acting Award, Actress in a Fantasy Drama at SBS Drama Awards in 2016
- Newcomer Award: Best New Actress at MBC Drama Awards in 2017
- Popularity Award, Actress at 2nd The Seoul Awards in 2018
- Best Drama Star at 2018 Korea Best Star Awards in 2018